MOTIVATION

“Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.” Pre

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. - William James

Friday, April 30, 2010

Elliptical Finally!

Yesterday was the first day I was able to work out since the Istanbul Half Marathon on Sunday. I know it was a long time, trust me I was ready to run on Wednesday but for two reasons I didn't. The first reason being that I had some trouble with working out too soon after the Berlin Half marathon and didn't want that to happen again. The next reason being that there are 5 LARGE blisters on my feet. Two are on my toes (one was underneath the toe nail... nasty... I wont go into detail on how I dealt with it.) Then there are a couple more on the ball of my foot, one about the size of a nickel. The third reason I guess would be that I broke my blackberry and am still upset about it, I have no music to listen to.

So today my host mom took me to the gym! The Turkish one that actually super expensive to be a member at and as much as I love the stationary bike, elliptical , and the stair stepper, I refuse to pay the ridiculous price. I have not been able to use them... until NOW! It was so nice to use the elliptical for 45 minutes and watch TV not having to worry about running back home, or who was watching, staring at me.... and all that outside running nonsense. PLUS my joints and tendons are really thanking me today for giving them a rest of impact on the nasty cobble stones. I think in the future I will try and use the track paved road in Emirgan park more often. 

I don't have anymore half marathons or races planned so I am feeling a bit lost.  

What do you do when you have nothing (no upcoming races) to train or look forward to? 
 My nothing to look forward to I mean in the immediate future. I am going to start my marathon training here within the month. My first one will be Portland Oregon October 10th! Which is the day after my birthday! WHOOP!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley!! I'm so excited...I got your postcard in the mail today! It totally made my day! I'll probably put it on the Running Buddies blog later this week. :)

    Since you start marathon training soon, I would use the next few weeks to rest (especially those blisters, ouch!). I would probably run at a lower intensity 3 (or so) times a week, but I wouldn't structure it too much.

    Also, I tried the chocolate Brown Cow. You are right...it's the best! So happy you recommended it. I never would have thought to buy chocolate.

    Later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran the Portland Marathon last year, you're going to LOVE it! Not an easy course but not too terrible. Train some hills for sure ;)! Maybe you can find a local 5 or 10K to race this summer, good speedwork prep for Portland PLUS it's something to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete