MOTIVATION

“Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.” Pre

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. - William James

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Officially Week One, Bir, Une, Uno.

After two weeks of slowly seeing how my body would react to running again I am ready to take the plunge and start real training. I have three goals associated with my overall goal. One is to keep a running log or journal so I can track my progress, hence the online blog. Two is to be consistent with everything from what I eat before and after to what time I wake up and the routes I take. I foresee some challenges with this in the future but that's what the logs are for, too see what worked and didn't. Three is to time myself, not just look at the clock when I left and look at it again when I return but to actually see how far I went in what about of time... and get better the next time.

One thing to remember is that you should always have a pre run snack. Mine is half a banana today and 2 cups of coffee. I am a believer in coffee before a run, simply because my human phys professor told me he did it before runs. Good enough excuse for me!

What to eat and why to eat before running? Choose something high in carbohydrates and lower in fat, fiber, and protein. Such as a bagel with peanut butter; a banana or a energy bar; a cup of milk. So this 30 minutes before the run.

Pot Run: Finished, here is how I feel great! I went on a 30 minute run today because its my adventure day and I will be walking around the Sultanahamet area and didn't want to tire myself out too early.
To Istinye Harbor- 15:30 minutes 3K one direction. I stopped to enjoy the sun rising over the harbor then ran back in 15:11 the same distance 3K. I then felt like a little more exercise was needed so I ran up the 200 stairs to our apartment building. In all accourding to Self.com I burned 405 calories in 30 minutes. Now off to my adventures in Istanbul... after a cup of joe.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley, I like your blog! I just started a running blog with a few friends. It's mostly running related topics with a few random thoughts. :)

    www.myrunningbuddies.com

    We started it to motivate ourselves and encourage each other. I've ran several marathons and know how challenging the training can be. Good for you! I'll keep an eye on your blog. Come visit us at "running buddies" if you get lonely or want to add your 2 cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I just noticed you are from Eugene. Go Ducks! My husband graduated from UO a few years ago. I also ran the Eugene Marathon 2 years ago. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, So glad to meet you! I want to run the Eugene Marathon but I am and will still be out of the country when it goes on this year so I am shooting for the Portland Marathon as my first!! I would love to hear any tips on how you trained for your first marathon!

    Yes I will be peeking and adding 2 cents to runningbuddies!! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete