MOTIVATION

“Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.” Pre

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. - William James

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Post Run Warm-up!

To prevent yourself from getting sick if you are like me and don't mind, actually prefer to run in the rain, wind, cold weather then here is some advice!

Oatmeal + Coffee- Yes, surprise! Coffee when drank with your post run carb filled meal actually increases (by a freaking 66%) the amount of glycogen that is replenished in your muscles. This is compared to those who don't add the caffeine and only eat the carbs. So load up on a warm bowl of oats with banana, almonds and a splash of milk for those Vit E, potassium, and calcium essentials and don't forget the Joe!

My run yesterday was an easy 5.4 miles almost to the Fahit Bridge but my knee was feeling funny and I decided not to push it which was a good idea because today it feels much better. I am taking a rest day today, I might venture out for some stair climbing but other then that I will rest it for my big run which I cannot decide if I will do tomorrow or Saturday.

I just finished signing up for my half marathon in Berlin, Germany March 28th 2010!

Bought the plane ticket, paid for the hostel reservation, got my maps all set up and now its finish out the last few weeks of training, pray for no injuries, and pray for a good time!
Yes I said pray! For anyone who knows me I am not a religious person but I do believe in the power of positive thinking, involvement and people! My friend Sarah here in Istanbul will be joining me for this weekend trip (not running with me though) at least I will have someone there to take some photos and cheer me on! Now I NEED to find some new shoes this week... running and breaking in my new shoes is also a must this weekend!

Does anyone have any good advice for pre race (and I mean pre pre pre race jitters? Since its 3 weeks away and when I think about it I feel like hurling, mostly with excitement but still... )? Please help!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I think the best thing you can do to calm the nerves is to 'NOT SET any expectations for yourself for this race!' Just plan on running it to see what it is like to run 13 miles, in an awesome pair of new running shoes, in a beautiful area of the world (I'm green with envy...can you tell?). It's totally cliche to say this, but "just have fun", girl! ;)

    I'll be praying for you, too.

    Thanks for the oatmeal+joe advice. Now, if only I could stomach coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristin. Try to just have fun with the race and run to finish not run for time. Whenever I run a race my number 1 goal is to finish feeling strong. But of course I also have my 'secret' goal that includes the time I WANT to finish in. However, that goal comes last and if I finish the race accomplishing my number one goal than I am still really happy! Plus, you are running a half marathon...in Germany!! Nothing could be better than that!! Think of it as a good excuse to see Berlin in a runners shoes. :) I swear, some of the best views of a city are while running through it.

    In your training runs, will you be running 12 or 13 miles? That also helped me the first time I ran a half marathon. That way, during the race I would tell myself that I wasn't doing anything that I havent done before. :)

    Good luck! I'm excited to hear all about and see pictures!

    ReplyDelete