MOTIVATION

“Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.” Pre

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. - William James

Sunday, March 7, 2010

22K Today

Well after a very busy and at first complicated weekend I accomplished my goal of running a half marathon to actually see how it felt to run for 2 whole hours, 13+ miles, without stopping, and without much refueling. I started my weekend thinking that I was going to be able to run this half marathon practice challenge on Saturday but due to a four year old birthday part and surprisingly SNOW I was not able to run on Saturday. So when I woke up this morning at 6am and saw blue sky I jumped up and started getting ready (which to me means 2-3 cups of coffee). It was a little chilly so I wore under armor and a long sleeve shirt (huge mistake) never again, no matter how cold, will I wear this combo. I was too hot after 25 minutes and so I took off the long sleeve but I HATE tying things on my waist and I HATE carrying things so it was just a struggle the rest of the time. I had also brought my wind breaker to keep out the wind which would have been enough with the under armor (side note to self). The first half was great I really enjoyed it, I was so focused and in-tune with my body and what I was feeling that I was creeping myself out a little. At one point I thought I was actually in a meditation state. I ran the 11.1K to the Bosphorus Bridge all along the sea. It was sunny outside and a brisk windy that kept me the perfect temperature. I took one small 45 second break at the bridge to check my time, stretch and reevaluate how I felt. I think this stop was my mistake maybe. After that point I was fine for a bit, maybe another 5K, then my legs just all of a sudden had no energy. My breathing was fine, there was no cramping, not pain, nothing but this weird sense of "hey you are out of gas woman!" Really it felt like someone was talking to me (it was probably just me talking to myself like I always do). I fixed the problem by telling myself that I was fine, there was plenty of extra fuel in my thighs and butt and that my muscle should just use that, which worked surprisingly whether or not thats where the fuel came from I was able to make it back to the Fahit Sultan Bridge (5K left till my house) before I was forced to take a walking break. 2 minutes I walked before I said enough and ran the rest of the way before my designated 1.5 mile mark that I use as a cool down walk. I finished the run in 2:25:10 which I am happy with but would love to see that under 2 hours someday.

3 comments:

  1. Good job! Now, you've done it and next time it will feel better! Way to stay strong and talk yourself through it...I do that a lot (talk to myself, that is!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're ready to kick some ass in Berlin. The view from the bridge of your practice run looks beautiful. I look forward to hearing how you do in 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys! I am surprised at how good I feel (now that its the next day) I have a couple new blisters, and some new running shoes to break it! I love the views I see while I run, it makes me forget that I am running!

    ReplyDelete